Quick Tips for First-Time Visitors
How to use the site
- Go to the Look for Jobs page to see what's available.
- When you find a job you're interested in, click 'Apply' to set up your user account.
- Or, start by creating your account so your profile is set up and ready when you find a posting for a job that you'd like to apply for.
What web browser should I use?
To make sure you have the best experience possible, we recommend using the most up-to-date version of one of the following browsers:
Save frequently to avoid losing edits
- Although your typing is periodically automatically saved, it is good practice to click on the Save button. If you remain on one page for over 30 minutes without hitting the Save button, you may lose the text you entered into the fields on the page.
- Typing does not extend the 30 minute session time-out; if you have enabled pop-ups, you will be asked if you’d like to continue your session.
Keep track of your account information
- Remember to keep a record of your Username and Password; you'll need them to sign back into the system to apply for other jobs or check the status of your application.
- Be careful to enter your Username and Password exactly as you entered them when you set up your account.
What you'll need to get started
- Access to a computer with a Web browser with the most up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome.
- A connection to the Internet
- An email address
- The information you'll need to complete your application (resume, work history, education, etc.)
Check your spam blocker and enable pop-ups
- Be sure to allow emails from the State of Washington sent from governmentjobs.com.
- Enable pop-up messages from governmentjobs.com to ensure you receive important system messages.
How to search for jobs
You have the ability to search for jobs by using several different search options available on the Look for Jobs page. The search options may be used individually or you may select several to narrow down your job search.
- Type in a key word or phrase in the Search box.
- Use the Sort option to view jobs by when they were posted, job title, or salary range.
- The Filter option allows you to view jobs by Location, Department, Job Category, and/or the Estimated Annual Salary.
Already have a governmentjobs.com account?
- If you have an account with governmentjobs.com, you can use it to apply for State of Washington jobs.
Read the job posting carefully
- Please pay special attention to the information on the job posting that tells you how to apply for the job.
- Be sure to read the job posting carefully; employers handle their hiring processes differently.
- For questions, contact the hiring agency directly using the information on the job posting.
What happens after you apply
- Once you submit your application electronically a confirmation email is sent immediately and your materials become available to the hiring agency.
- Applications may be screened based on the requirements to narrow the applicant pool.
- Applicants that best match the job requirements will be contacted to continue in the selection process.