Search for jobs
Apply for jobs
Completing your application
What do I need in order to get started?
- Access to a computer with a Web browser with the most up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome.
- A connection to the Internet
- An email address
- The information you'll need to complete your application - (resume, work history, education, etc.)
Do I need to sign up for an account?
- You can search for jobs at any time without creating an account or logging in. To apply for jobs, you will need to create a secure online account. You can create an account and start building your profile at anytime, so it's ready when you find a job posting you would like to apply for.
- Keep a record of your Username and Password once you have set up your account; you will need them to apply for other positions or to check the status of your application.
What web browsers are acceptable?
- The preferred web browsers are IE 11 or higher and Chrome. The online recruiting system will also work the most up-to-date versions of Firefox and Safari browsers. The system is not compatible with Internet Explorer 10 or lower.
- Macintosh Users -- Some individuals experience difficulty completing the online application when using a Macintosh (Apple) with the Safari browser. If you are experiencing this problem, downloading the free Internet browser Firefox and using it to access and complete your application may resolve this issue.
Get the Firefox browser.
What if I do not have a computer?
I don't have an email address. What can I do?
- An email address is required to create an on-line profile and apply for position with the state of Washington. There are many sources for free email accounts, several options to set up free email accounts may be found at: http://www.emailaddresses.com/
May I use my existing governmentjobs.com account to apply for State of Washington jobs?
I forgot my username and/or password. Is there a way to retrieve that information?
- Yes. Go to the Sign In page, click on "Forgot Username" or "Reset Password" and follow the instructions that appear on screen. An email will be sent to you with either your username or a link to reset your password, depending on which you need to retrieve. Follow the instructions within the email. Call (855) 524-5627 for assistance if this fails to work for you.
- NOTE: If you get the message: "The email address you've entered does not exist in our records. Please try again." try any other email addresses you may have used to create your account. If you receive the same message, you will have to create a new profile.
I still can't login or am having technical difficulties, what can I do?
- If you have tried and are not successful, call (855) 524-5627 for assistance.
Will the spam filters on my computer block emails from the system?
- Yes they may. To make sure that our emails are not filtered into your "junk" or "bulk" folder, please add GovernmentJobs.com to your list of trusted senders.
Is this a secure site?
- Yes. Only authorized employees in the Human Resource Department and authorized staff designated to review specific job information will have access. The state of Washington does not share its database with others.
Back to top
Search for jobs
Do I need an account to search for jobs?
- No. You can search for jobs at any time without creating an account or logging in. You will need an account in order to apply for jobs.
Is there a way to search for job vacancies that were posted since my last log in?
- No, there is not a way to search for job vacancies with those search criteria, but you may use the Sort feature to view jobs in order of posting date (Newest to Oldest). You may also want to Subscribe to Job Alerts to be notified via email whenever a position is posted that matches your identified area of interest.
How do I view all job vacancies?
- All active job postings will automatically display. You will need to use the Next button at the bottom of the page to advance to the next page. You may use the search options to narrow down your search results.
How can I narrow my job search according to my preferences?
- You can search for jobs by using several different search options. The search options may be used individually or you may select several to narrow down your job search.
- Type in a key word or phrase in the Search box.
- Use the Sort option to view jobs by when they were posted, alphabetical by job title, or salary range.
- The Filter option allows you to view jobs by Location, Department, Job Category, and/or the Estimated Annual Salary.
- To make a selection, click on the category.
- Options will appear, click on the box next to the option to select it.
- Click on the arrow pointing left < to make additional selections in other categories.
- Click on the X to view the search results.
I don't see a job vacancy that I am interested in. Can the system notify me when a particular job is posted?
- Yes. Go to Subscribe to Job Alerts. Select the check boxes for the job category you are interested in, or click "Select All Categories" for all. Complete your personal information. Click "Submit Request". You will be notified via email whenever a position is posted that matches your area of interest for 12 months.
- To cancel your Job Alerts subscription, click on the link at the bottom of your Job Interest Card Notification email and follow the on-screen instructions.
Back to top
Apply for jobs
How do I apply for a job opening?
- Once you find a job for which you'd like to apply, click on the Apply button at the top of the job posting. Please follow the application instructions in the job posting to ensure your materials are submitted correctly.
Do I have to apply for each job vacancy separately or is there a way to select more than one job at a time?
- You must apply for each job vacancy separately because requirements and/or questions associated with each position may differ. However, once an application is complete and submitted, it is stored in the system and can be used to apply for other jobs.
How many job postings can I apply for?
- You may apply for as many job postings as you choose; however, to be competitive you must meet the qualifications and experience described in the posting.
How do I know if I am qualified for a job posting?
- Carefully read the job posting. Compare your qualifications to those identified on the posting, usually found under the "Qualifications" section. If it indicates that it is only open for "Internal Candidates," only employees from that agency who have permanent status are eligible to apply. If you are not a permanent employee from that agency, you are not eligible to compete and will not be considered.
I started applying for a job vacancy, but I had to save and come back later. How do I finish applying?
- To finish applying for a job posting, log into your profile with your user name and password. Once logged in, click on your user name in the upper right corner and click on "Applications" and then click on "Incomplete." Click on the job title to complete the remainder of the application and submit. To be considered for a job, your online application must be submitted by the closing date and time identified on the posting. A job posting with a closing date of "Continuous" means that applications are continuously evaluated as they are received and the posting may close at any time.
When I apply for a job posting, the same Agency-Wide Questions appear. Do I have to respond to these questions every time I apply?
- Once you have answered these questions when applying to a state of Washington posting, then the next time you apply using the same profile, your responses to the Agency-Wide Questions will automatically populate. Verify the responses each time you apply to a posting.
The first agency-wide question is required and asks if I'm a permanent classified Washington General Service or Washington Management Service employee. How do I know if I am?
- Current state employees who have completed their probationary period successfully would be considered to be in permanent status in the Washington General Government or Washington Management Service category. Higher Education and exempt employees do not belong to either of these categories and would respond "no" to the question.
I did not receive an email confirmation that my on-line application was received. Why not?
- Verify you've listed the correct email address on your profile and that you are able to receive emails. If you have spam blockers, the email may have been received as junk mail. Add www.government jobs.com to your safe senders list.
What happens after I apply for a job posting?
- You will receive a confirmation email immediately and your materials become available to the human resources office in the hiring agency for potential further screening. Applicants that are the best match for the position will be contacted to continue in the process.
What if I notice an error on my application after I submitted it?
- There is no way to make changes to your application once you have certified and submitted it to the agency. You may reapply if the posting is still open or contact the agency listed on the posting directly to see if you may be able to revise your application. If you receive an error message when attempting to reapply, the message should state when and if you can reapply.
If I apply for a job vacancy and need to submit documentation with my application, what do I do?
- Click on the "Attachments" section of your application. If you have submitted attachments on previous applications, then those attachments will appear for you to select or not.
- To add a new attachment, first save the document as one of the supported file types on your computer. The file must be closed.
- Click on "Choose Attachment Type" to first select the type of attachment you are including. Then click on the "Upload" button to browse for and select the attachment.
- Continue following the process until you have included all required attachments.
- Click on the "Next" button to proceed to the next step in the application process.
- Important Note: Do not include social security numbers on any attachments.
What file attachments are accepted?
- The current acceptable file extensions with the maximum size of 10mb per attachment are:
- Acrobat Portable Document Format - .pdf
- Internet Explorer or other web browser - .htm, .html
- Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet - .xls, .xlsx
- Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation - .ppt, .pptx, .potx
- Microsoft Word Document - .doc, .docx
- Notepad - .txt Rich Text Format File - .rtf
- Windows Picture and Fax Viewer - .bmp, .gif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff
- WordPerfect Document - .wp, .wpd
Are military veterans given preference when filling job vacancies within the state of Washington?
Back to top
Completing your application
Do I need to complete every field on the online profile?
- Not necessarily. Follow the instructions on the job posting for which you are applying.
What are supplemental questions and how do I submit my answers to these?
- These questions are used to gather job-related information about you, your educational and/or work history and can be used to assess your knowledge, skills and abilities as related to the position. Your answers to supplemental questions are automatically submitted with your application.
How do I print my profile?
- Your profile cannot be printed, but you can print your application after you apply for a job.
What if a job vacancy has closed and I need to attach documentation to an application that I have already submitted?
- If you need to attach a document to your application AFTER you've submitted an on-line application, you will need to contact the Human Resources office of the hiring agency using the information on job posting.
Back to top
How do I change my contact information?
- Once your contact information is entered in your profile, all future applications will have the updated information. To change your contact information, go to Sign in. Click on your user name in the upper right corner and click on "Account." You will be taken to your Contact Info page, click on "Edit." Make the changes to your contact information and click on the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.
- Note: this does not change your contact information for jobs that you've already applied for. You will need to contact the Human Resources office of the hiring agency to update your contact information for those positions. To find the contact information on the position posting, log into your account. Once logged in, click on your user name in the upper right corner and then click on "Applications." On your Applications page with the Submitted button selected, click on the job title. Then click on "Job Details." The agency contact information is typically towards to the end of the posting.
When should I expect to hear from the agency about scheduling an interview after a job posting closes?
- If an applicant is selected for an interview, the length of time it takes to be contacted will depend on the hiring agency.
How do I obtain a copy of my online application?
- To print, sign in and click on your user name in the upper right corner. Click on "Applications" from the options that appear. Locate the application you want to print and click on the posting title. On the next page, with the Applications option selected, click on the printer icon in the upper right corner.
How do I get a copy of a job posting that has closed?
- To view a posting that you applied to, log into your account. Once logged in, click on your user name in the upper right corner and then click on "Applications." On your Applications page with the Submitted button selected, click on the job title. Then click on "Job Details."
What if I have additional questions?
Back to top
- If you have additional questions related to the online recruiting system, you will find contact information on the Help page.
- If you have questions concerning the position you've applied for, contact the Human Resources office of the hiring agency; contact information is found on the position posting. Log into your account. Once logged in, click on your user name in the upper right corner and then click on "Applications." Click on the desired job posting title. On the next page, click on Job Details (appears towards the top) to view the job posting. The contact information is typically towards the bottom of the job posting.